Current:Home > InvestSurpassing:Man arrested after trespassing twice in one day at Robert F. Kennedy Jr.'s home in Los Angeles -CapitalCourse
Surpassing:Man arrested after trespassing twice in one day at Robert F. Kennedy Jr.'s home in Los Angeles
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 16:48:45
A man was arrested after trespassing twice in one day at the Los Angeles home of presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr.,Surpassing police confirmed Thursday.
Police first responded to a call about the 28-year-old man trespassing at about 9:30 a.m. Wednesday, said Drake Madison, an officer with the Los Angeles Police Department.
The man was served an emergency protective order and released, but he returned to the property later that day, prompting police to arrest him for violating the order. He remained in police custody Thursday.
Kennedy’s campaign said in a statement that the man climbed a fence at the candidate’s home but was detained by the candidate’s private security company. Kennedy, who is running as an independent, was home at the time of both arrests, the campaign added.
The incidents come over a month after an armed man accused of impersonating a federal officer was arrested at a Kennedy campaign event. Kennedy and his campaign have repeatedly argued that he needs Secret Service protection.
In September, Kennedy’s then-campaign manager wrote to President Joe Biden urging him to provide Secret Service protection to the candidate. Kennedy’s uncle, President John F. Kennedy, and his father, Sen. Robert F. Kennedy, were both assassinated.
The campaign’s statement said Kennedy’s private security company was already aware of the trespasser, whom the campaign called an “obsessed individual.” The company had alerted the Secret Service about him and shared “alarming communications” he had sent to the candidate, the campaign said.
Protection for presidential candidates is not up to the U.S. Secret Service and is instead determined by the Department of Homeland Security in consultation with a congressional advisory committee. While major candidates for president or vice president can get Secret Service protection, the vast majority of primary candidates do not.
The campaign said it sent a new request for protection to DHS on Wednesday, its third formal request so far. DHS did not immediately respond to an email requesting comment Thursday from The Associated Press.
A law enforcement official on Thursday said the Secret Service does not monitor people it is not actively protecting, like Kennedy. When a request for protection comes in, the official said, the service does an assessment, but it stops monitoring when that is complete. The official, who was not authorized to discuss the situation publicly and spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity, said Kennedy was not being assessed at the time of Wednesday’s incidents.
____
Associated Press researcher Rhonda Shafner contributed to this report.
____
The Associated Press receives support from several private foundations to enhance its explanatory coverage of elections and democracy. See more about AP’s democracy initiative here. The AP is solely responsible for all content.
veryGood! (82553)
Related
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Israel accused of using controversial white phosphorus shells in Gaza amid war with Hamas
- College athletes are fighting to get a cut from the billions they generate in media rights deals
- Suzanne Somers Dead at 76 After Breast Cancer Battle
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- What Google’s antitrust trial means for your search habits
- DT Teair Tart inactive for Titans game against Ravens in London
- Kim Ng, MLB’s 1st female GM, is leaving the Miami Marlins after making the playoffs in 3rd season
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- Inflation is reshaping what employees need from their benefits: What employers should know
Ranking
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- French soccer federation condemns Nice player Atal for reportedly reposting hate speech against Jews
- What Google’s antitrust trial means for your search habits
- The Israeli public finds itself in grief and shock, but many pledge allegiance to war effort
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Former MSU football coach Mel Tucker uses toxic tactic to defend himself
- Italian court confirms extradition of a priest wanted for murder, torture in Argentina dictatorship
- How Bogotá cares for its family caregivers: From dance classes to job training
Recommendation
Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
Inside Brian Austin Green's Life as a Father of 5
Miniature ‘Star Wars’ X-wing gets over $3 million at auction of Hollywood model-maker’s collection
Urban battle from past Gaza war offers glimpse of what an Israeli ground offensive might look like
Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
Have you heard of Margaret Winkler? She's the woman behind Disney's 100th birthday
Mark Goddard, who played Don West on ‘Lost in Space,’ dies at 87
After her partner's death, Lila Downs records 'La Sánchez,' her most personal album